What is Diabetes?
- Diabetes is serious, common, costly and controllable
- A diagnosis of diabetes is not a death sentence!
- Effective treatment is the first goal
- Early detection saves lives and suffering
- Screening is an effective tool to determine prevalence and level of intervention
Difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes
|Type 1 diabetes||Type 2 diabetes|
|Symptoms usually start in childhood or young adulthood. People often seek medical help, because they are seriously ill from sudden symptoms of high blood sugar.||The person may not have symptoms before diagnosis. Usually the disease is discovered in adulthood, but an increasing number of children are being diagnosed with the disease.|
|Episodes of low blood sugar level (hypoglycemia) are common.||There are no episode of slow blood sugar level, unless the person is taking insulin or certain diabetes medicines.|
|It cannot be prevented.||It can be prevented or delayed with a healthy lifestyle, including maintaining a healthy weight, eating sensibly and exercising regularly.|